Why Your Support Is So Important
Way Public Library is a source of great pride for the citizens of Perrysburg, and it is our goal to keep it that way. The Way Library Board of Trustees has voted to place a levy on the ballot on March 15, 2016. This will be a four-year renewal of the 1.5 mill operating levy with an additional .4 mill. Without this local funding which will represent half of our budget, the Library’s ability to provide sought-after services will be severely restricted.
By the numbers:
- providing access to 8 million items
- serving 22,325 patrons each and every month
- checking out nearly 2,000 items daily
- offering 660 programs yearly for all ages, attracting annual attendance of 17,000 patrons
- accommodating 850 meetings per year
- hosting 7,000 WIFI and 4,100 public computer sessions every month
- receiving 845 visits to website daily to access online catalog, databases, calendar of events and more
- 31,716 active registered library card holders
Passage of this levy will allow us to:
- Expand our budget for books and other circulating items. The number of items purchased has been flat for ten years. In addition, the cost of materials rises steadily.
- Continue to provide free programs and special events for people of all ages.
- Meet current and emerging technology and training needs of our patrons.
- Respond to public demand by extending hours on our busiest days.
- Provide support to satisfy the community’s increasing need for meeting room space.
- Preserve the safety and integrity of our heavily used facility. Funds for repairs, maintenance, cleaning, and service agreements are critical to protect the public’s investment.
The basic facts about the levy:
- The current operating levy, which represents half of our budget, expires at the end of 2016.
- The cost of the 1.5 mill renewal for the owner of a $200,000 home will be $7.56 per month. The cost of the .4 mill additional is $2.33 per month, for a total of $9.89 per month.
- Property tax bills were reduced by $8.07 per month in 2014 when the voter-approved 1999 library renovation bond was paid off 12 years early due to effective management by city officials.
Way Library is widely recognized as a great library. It is a highly-visible, heavily used community gathering place. We are deeply grateful for the strong support we receive from the citizens of Perrysburg who share our belief in the value of an outstanding public library. The passage of this levy is necessary to protect the Library’s current services and to support the vital role it plays in the community.